The ESPRESSObin is a high-performance 64-bit dual-core networking computing platform based on the ARMv8 architecture with low power consumption. The board is powered by Marvell's Armada 3700 dual-core SoC chipset which runs up to 1.2GHz.
ESPRESSObin specifications across several hardware revisions are shown in the table below:
|Component||ESPRESSObin v5 and older||ESPRESSObin v7|
|SoC||Marvell Armada 3700LP (88F3720) dual-core ARM Cortex A53 processor up to 1GHz||Marvell Armada 3700LP (88F3720) dual-core ARM Cortex A53 processor up to 1.2GHz|
|System Memory||1GB DDR3 or 2GB DDR3||1GB or 2GB DDR4|
|Storage||1x micro SD card slot||1x micro SD card slot|
|Optional 4GB eMMC footprint||Optional 4GB eMMC footprint|
|SATA power connector and SATA 3.0 connector||Single SATA connector|
|Network Connectivity||1x Topaz Networking Switch||1x Topaz Networking Switch|
|2x GbE Ethernet LAN||2x GbE Ethernet LAN|
|1x Ethernet WAN||1x Ethernet WAN|
|1x MiniPCIe slot for Wireless/BLE peripherals||1x MiniPCIe slot for Wireless/BLE peripherals|
|USB||1x USB 3.0||1x USB 3.0|
|1x USB 2.0||1x USB 2.0|
|1x micro USB port||1x micro USB port|
|Expansion||2x46-pin GPIO headers for accessories and shields with I2C, GPIOs, PWM, UART, SPI, MMC, etc.||2x46-pin GPIO headers for accessories and shields with I2C, GPIOs, PWM, UART, SPI, MMC, etc.|
|Misc||Reset button||Reset button|
|JTAG interface||JTAG interface (Marvell JTAG Prove V debugger support)|
|Power supply||12V DC jack||12V DC jack|
|Power consumption||Less than 1W thermal dissipation at 1 GHz||Less than 1W thermal dissipation at 1 GHz|
Low cost and power consumption combined with powerful Networking and Storage interfaces make the ESPRESSObin board a perfect fit for a wide variety of deployments often neglected by other SBCs such as:
- Home & office networking
- Media streaming
Listed below are some of the use cases where you could utilize the ESPRESSObin board:
- NAS-SATA-Wi-Fi -> By connecting the device SATA interface to hard drives, you can stream via wireless or Ethernet.
- Video Camera Monitor -> Reuse old USB cameras and turn them into power-conscious IP cameras by connecting them to ESPRESSObin and streaming content directly to your computer.
- Plex Media Server -> Ethernet or Wi-Fi streaming from hard drives, USB sticks to connected television sets in multiple rooms.
- Stacking switch cluster -> Create power efficient storage units by connecting storage and Ethernet. Compute clusters for Torrent server applications.
- IoT Gateway -> Turn the ESPRESSObin into an IoT Gateway by connecting LORA, BLE, ZigBee, Zwave and other protocols through a variety of interfaces supported by the board.